Sunday, October 12, 2014

Keeping Our Vision Clear - Chapter 7



Verse of the Week

When he had finished speaking, he said to Simon, “Put out into deep water, and let down the nets for a catch.” Simon answered, “Master, we’ve worked hard all night and haven’t caught anything. But because you say so, I will let down the nets.”
Luke 5:4-5 (NIV)

Phrase of the Week

Stay Focused
#StayFocused


My husband, Keith, and I went on a vacation to Branson several weeks back. We decided on our last night there, to be crazy and take in two shows.  The first show was on the Branson Belle River Boat and the second was SIX.  They were a good distance  apart, but felt we could pull this off. 

We loaded the boat and I was amazed how big it was.  We were directed to our table and immediately I realized something was wrong with my glasses. As I reached for them, I realized they were broken.  As I inspected them, I saw that the little pin slipped out and the leg was totally detached and the tiny pin was gone.  I was determined to make the best of it and tried to act as though it was no big deal. But honestly, it was slightly difficult.  To see the show I had to hold my glasses on my face, but did finally figure out a way to tilt my head and balance on my nose.

At intermission, we were able to go all over the boat.  I was eager to explore all the decks and find just the right places to take some selfies with my handsome date.  So I quickly picked up the leg, of my glasses, off the table and placed in my pocket. And with the other hand, I did my best to hold my glasses up to see.  There were 3 flights of stairs to get to the top deck and I was going to make sure we got there for pictures. The whole time stumbling and laughing, because I couldn't see.  We returned to the table and finished the amazing show.  I will also add, the food was absolutely delicious.

Knowing we must not delay getting to our next show, we quickly were trying to exit the boat. As we were following the crowd out, something nudged me to feel in my pocket for the leg of my glasses. You guessed it!  It wasn't there.  My heart sank. I returned to the table hoping it might be there, but our table had already been cleared.  Think my heart sunk deeper, if that is possible.  I was about to ruin our perfect little date night and this "easy fix" of getting a little pin to fix my glasses was quickly looking like a need for new glasses.  As we began making our way off the boat, me and Jesus were having a serious conversation. Right before we were to exit the boat, I stopped and told Keith,  just give me a chance to find it.  I will be right back.  All I knew to do was retrace my steps, in hope I would find it. I began to tell God how desperately I needed his guidance.  If He would please lead me to it, I would be so grateful.  I knew I didn't have much time, had a big area to cover and everything was blurry!  I took off up the stairs like I knew where I was going.  First deck, no luck.  Second deck - nothing!!  I said, "Jesus, I really need your help!" Headed up to the top deck. Just as soon as my foot hit that first step, I heard, look down now.  I quickly looked down and under the rail in  a little crack, there it was!!! I shouted, "Praise The Lord"!!!!!!  Grabbed it and cried. I knew God had heard me and  he guided me each step of the way.  I kept saying God you REALLY did guide me, you REALLY did guide me.  There was no reason I should have or could have found that on my own.

This may seem like a silly story you, but God spoke to my heart thru this experience.  You see, just as quickly as God was willing to help me in this situation, we should be just as quick to help Him.  The entire time I was on this boat my vision was blurry and out of focus, but God saved the day and rescued me.  I became so focused on finding the missing piece of my glasses and I was desperate, intently focused and listening for guidance. I felt God began speaking to my heart. There are so many people wondering around with no focus or blind to hope, peace, joy and the life that they can have in Christ.  And they don't even know how to ask for guidance.

That's where we come in ladies.  He needs us to be woman that are willing to say, YES!  He wants us to live our lives listening for his guidance, just as intently as I was that day, on the boat.  He wants to guide us to reach and touch those who are lost and their lives or out of focus and without hope.

I want to be like Peter in the story found in Luke 5:2-4.  Jesus knew Peter had a radically obedient heart and would be willing to do what He asked him, even when it made no sense.  Peter basically is like, Jesus said do it and he did it!  No questions.  Peters radical obedience to Jesus simple request ultimately resulted in him discovering the calling on His life.  What is Jesus calling you to today?  Follow Him in obedience and He will show you!


Week 8 Discussion  

Go to the Facebook group to join the group discussion.
  1. In this chapter we discovered three truths about obedience (Pages 118-119). First, our call to obedience may challenge our pride. Second, God uses our experiences to equip us for our calling. Third, our obedience may inspire others to respond. Share your thoughts on one or all three of these truths.
  2. Read James 4:4-6. What are these verses saying? What are your thoughts about them?
  3. Read Luke 5:11. Who responded that day? How can their response inspire you?

Author - Jackie Underhill

Jackie is married to Keith Underhill.  They have a daughter, Moriah, who is married to Geoff Hamby, and a son, Jordan and wife, Amanda, who are parents to their 2 amazing Grandchildren, Karson (6) and Whitley (2).

Jackie serves along side her husband as pastors of Wynne First Assembly. She has had the privilege to serve in many areas of ministry over the years.  Loves all ages of ministry.  Has a passion to help those she works with find their gifts and use them to the best of their abilities, to the glory and honor of God.  She presently serves as The Women's Ministry Rep of Sec 8 and loves encouraging and mentor ladies that God allows to cross her path.

No comments:

Post a Comment