Sunday, March 2, 2014

Confidence - These Shoes are Too Big


Verse of the Week:
So do not throw away your CONFIDENCE; it will be richly rewarded. - Hebrews 10:35 (NIV)



Chapter 1 Video Links (From Her Green Room):



What is confidence? Confidence means to be convinced of, to have inward certainty or to trust. Chapter one is all about confidence. Not a vain, prideful confidence, but a Biblical, gracious confidence.

In this chapter, Jodi speaks of stepping into a major leadership role and how she felt completely unqualified. She likened it to stepping into a pair of shoes that were too big. At first you walk around awkwardly when you are wearing shoes that are too big, but in time, you begin to grow into them. As you grow, your confidence also grows.

Jodi made a decision that despite her feelings of inadequacy, she would keep walking through the doors that God opened. This to me was one of the best thoughts in this chapter. It goes back to the definition of confidence; to trust. If we can learn to trust God, even if it is reluctantly, God will use us. As we trust Him we will develop a confidence, not in ourselves, but in Him. If we have confidence in Him, we can walk through any door He asks us to, confident, not in our own ability, but in His!

Gracious confidence is what helps our feet grow into our too-big shoes. It is developing the gifts God has placed inside of me and doing my best to offer those gifts back to God as He gives me the opportunities, trusting Him with the outcomes.

I love what Jodi says on page 31. "I'm not a better leader because I've been given bigger responsibilities and a few outstanding opportunities. I'm a better leader because I stepped forward (albeit with fear and trembling) into the next thing God called me to, stuffing the toes of those too-big shoes with tissues of trust that He would grow me into His calling."

There are many things I could share from my personal experiences of clomping around in too-big shoes. This post that you are reading right now is one of them. This online Bible Study is one of those things that God kept laying on my heart, the stirring in your chest that Jodi talks about. When I decided I could at least mention it and see what came of it, I never imagined the response I would get would be, "Just go for it!"

I never considered that God would use me to do anything like this and I certainly am not the most qualified woman of this group for such an undertaking. But I am stuffing the toes of these too-big shoes with tissues of trust and walking forward to grow in His calling.

What about you? How well do your shoes fit?


Discussion Questions:
  1. What are some of the “too-big shoes” that you have stepped into and how did you grow into them?

  2. Psalm 118:8 says, “It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man.” Read the story of Asa in 2 Chronicles 16:1-10 and describe how and why he put confidence in people instead of God. What was the outcome?

  3. Read Jeremiah 17:5-10. Considering the strong cautions expressed in those verses, what does it look like today when we place our confidence in others or ourselves instead of God?

  4. While trusting solely in ourselves is arrogant and a big mistake, there is a gracious confidence that is Biblical, healthy, and necessary for good leadership. Read the following verses and describe how the truth in each section contributes to gracious confidence. (You may choose just one or two).
    • Genisis 1:27
    • Joshua 1:9
    • Psalm 139:13-14,16-18
    • Isaiah 64:8
    • Jeremiah 29:11
    • 2 Corinthians 3:5
    • Ephesians 2:10

  5. Is there anything else about this chapter you would like to discuss or that stood out to you?

4 comments:

  1. What are some of the “too-big shoes” that you have stepped into and how did you grow into them?

    When I read this chapter I kept thinking about my life and I realized fairly quickly that this isn't just about stepping into a position with a title. As Christians we are called to share Christ with others, period. You don't have to have a title or position to do that. I am a quiet person who prefers not to be in uncomfortable situations (funny how God knows that!). So for me the simple act of witnessing to those around me often feels like too-big shoes. The people I personally know and see often who need Jesus, but don't believe they are in need of anything. The ones living alternative lifestyles and those who believe in reincarnation and the atheist who just laughs at the mention of God. When conversations with these people occur, I feel like I'm clomping around in too-big shoes. I am growing in them by trusting God to give me wisdom and the words to say every time they occur. I will probably never feel like the "witnessing to those around me who's views are not the same as mine" shoes fit. I doubt I'll ever grow into them. It is way outside my comfort zone, but I will continue to embrace those moments with the help and wisdom of The Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Psalm 139 :13-14
    For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.

    I am a very quiet and shy person and I have difficulty talking to people. I have always loved this verse because it tells me that God made me the way I am and the way that He wanted me to be. He didn't create everybody to be "the life of the party" and He wants me to be me for a reason.

    Ephesians 2:10
    For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

    I believe, like Brenda, that God has called us ALL to share Christ with others. While I have tended to use "I'm shy" as an excuse for not being a very vocal witness I have come to see that more and more as a lack of faith in God. He does know how difficult it is for me because He created me and knows me. This verse says that God has prepared us in advance to do good works so I have to step out in faith and trust Him to do that. It doesn't mean that I won't be nervous or feel inadequate it means that He will take of the results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glenda that is so true! God knows exactly how He created each of us and He will equip us each for what He calls us to do. We may not feel equipped, but we have to Trust Him!! Obedience even when we feel inadequate builds that gracious confidence!!

      Delete
  3. 2 Corinthians 3:5
    5 Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God,

    This verse reminds me that it is not me but God who equips me. That is true when I look at the opportunities God has entrusted me with I can only give him the Glory!!
    I could really relate to Jodi and having to battle my insecurities to accomplish what God has told me to do!
    I have learned that if God is asked it of us then He will equip and walk with us!

    ReplyDelete