Sunday, March 30, 2014

Resilience - The Cringe Factor


Verse of the Week:
For though the righteous fall seven times, they rise again, but the wicked stumble when calamity strikes. – Proverbs 24:16 (NIV)


Chapter 5 Video Links (From Her Green Room):



    Well ladies, here we are at chapter 5! Half way through this journey together! I pray that this book is a blessing to you all. It sure has been to me!

    Last week we talked about stamina. This week we are talking about resilience. These two seem similar when you think about them so what is the difference between them? Having stamina means that we continue on our journey even when we are tired and want to stop; having resilience means that something has stopped us but we are getting back up and starting again.

    I really enjoyed this chapter and I think that we all can relate to it, not just in ministry but in life. We all have had “my bad”, “their bad”, and “too bad” moments or even seasons in life. I know that I can easily think of examples of each in my own life, some of them only lasting a moment while others are still a very real part of my every day life.

    In the “my bad” section of this chapter, Jodi talks a lot about regret. Regret to me is a double edged sword. In some way, we need to feel a little regret in order to take the necessary steps to make a mends with others. If we didn’t feel some regret or feel sorry for things that we did, what would we have to encourage us to apologize and make things right with others when we hurt them? However, once we do our part in making a mends, we have to put it behind us and move on.

    Regret is something that I’m sure Satan loves for us to hold onto. It makes us focus on our past instead of our future. It makes us feel less than because of our mistakes. It may make us think that we aren’t fit to fulfill the work that God has called us to do. If we fall into the regret trap we could end up walking away from what God wants us to do. And if we do those things, what more could Satan ask for?

    There was a section in this chapter called “No Rewind, Only Redemption”.  This whole section was so encouraging to me, but specifically this:

    “Everyone reading this has regrets, and for some they’ve become heavy, damp, flame-smothering blankets of depression that bury the glow of future ministry potential – maybe even the possibility of joyful living. This is for you my friend: there is no rewind. There is only redemption. But a redeemed life is even better than a rewind because through it, Jesus showcases hope to others who feel their mistakes have left them unqualified for significance and service.”

    Skipping over a page or so…

    “I’ll say it again: a redeemed life is better than a rewind because others get to see the “immense patience” of Jesus on display! When you as the recipient of His mercy, are resilient and determined to get back up and move forward, others will believe there is hope for them to do the same.”

    You know, I believe that as Christians, whether we are in a leadership position or not, that is ultimately what we want. We want to see others succeed and grow in Christ. We want to see others overcome hard times. We want to see others thrive. If you agree, if that’s you, then let’s live out our redeemed lives instead of sitting around, living in regret, waiting for a rewind. We will never be able to change the past, but we can live a life full of hope and resilience through Jesus and His mercy that He so graciously gives us, even when we don’t deserve it. After all, that is the point of grace, isn’t it?

    As we respond to the discussion questions, think of it as a chance to put a spotlight on your redeemed life and share hope with others!



    Discussion Questions:
    1. Is there a particular my bad (a mistake that was your fault) memory that still makes you cringe? What did you (or can you) learn from it that will serve you in the future?

    2. Have you ever felt stuck in “six inches of mud” when you wanted to be soaring? What did it look like? How did you become “unstuck”? When it comes to resilience, what’s the greatest lesson you’ve learned so far?

    3. Revisit the story of Joseph in Genesis chapter 37 and 39-45. What were the circumstances in which Joseph displayed resilience? What situations do people face today that might parallel some of Joseph’s troubles? How have you seen resilience make a difference in these circumstances?

    4. Read Genesis 40:2; 5; 20-23. Also read Genesis 41:25, 38-52. What is the common thread in these verses? How does believing the promise given in Hebrews 13:5 help us to have the resilience of Joseph?

    5. Is there anything else about this chapter you would like to discuss or that stood out to you?

    3 comments:

    1. The story of Joseph is one that I have heard my whole life but never really fully appreciated what all Joseph went through until I read the book "You'll Get Through This" by Max Lucado. First of all, if you haven't read that book, put it on your short list of books to read! If you want to know more about the book, here is a book review I wrote after I finished reading it. http://fabulousfaithjourney.blogspot.com/2014/01/youll-get-through-this-by-max-lucado.html

      Joseph exemplified resilience. While I'm sure there were days that he was worn out and tired and ready to get out of prison or out of his situations, he didn't ever give up. He kept trusting the Lord in every new situation that he faced. When he was in the pit, he waited for his time to get out. When he was in prison, he waited for his time to get out. He trusted God and his timing and was greatly rewarded in his life because of it.

      ReplyDelete
    2. I really liked this chapter. It was something that I could relate to for sure. If I'm being perfectly honest, I have been living in six inches of mud for a while now. My six inches of mud has come from a combination of their bad, my bad, and too bad moments. While I can't share specifics right now, I think that it's the too bad and their bad moments that have really taken the biggest toll on me.

      One of the hardest things I've found in life to face is being stuck in six inches of mud that you had no control over. That's the their bad and the too bad stuff. The my bad stuff, are things that are between you and God and whoever else they involve. You can make things right with God and others and then move on with life. The their bad and too bad stuff is a different situation all together, because you have no control over the outcomes, you can only control your reactions to them. While I still feel very stuck and I haven't found a way to get unstuck, I haven't quit. I haven't given up.

      Resilience to me is waking up every day and deciding that you will trust God no matter what. Waking up determined, that even if you go to bed tonight and are still stuck in that mud, that you will go to bed thanking God for His goodness and His faithfulness, and then waking up the next morning doing the same thing all over again.

      No matter how long it takes to get out of the mud, you just have to keep praising and keep trusting in the Lord!

      ReplyDelete
    3. Wow, another really great chapter. This one really hit home. While I can think of many "my bad" moments that make me cringe, right now I'm dealing with some "their bad" and "too bad" things that, like you said Brenda, I have no control over. I also know someone trying to deal with a "my bad" that is really struggling and I wish I knew what to say or do sometimes to encourage them.

      I have always loved the story of Joseph for the same reason brought out in the book. There had to be times when Joseph wondered what happened to his dream of being a ruler when he was sold into slavery, then falsely accused and imprisoned. Maybe he wondered if he had been wrong all along. But in every circumstance he found himself in he excelled and was promoted because he was faithful and honest did his best first for Potiphar, then for the head of the prison, and finally for Pharoah. It took a LONG time for Joseph's childhood vision to become a reality and the path there was not an easy one.

      I'm thinking maybe God had you do this online study just for me, Brenda!

      ReplyDelete